Sunday, November 13, 2011

Human Resource Management: enhancing Credibility in your Present Job

I’ve been writing resumes’ and cover letters since I graduated from college. I made a lot for myself and for my friends as well when they were job hunting. I’m pretty good in doing that but writing, as a way of earning money will need a lot of things to be considered to be credible to your prospective clients. I am an Accounting graduate and it doesn’t say much for my writing skills.

I thought of studying something that would boost my confidence but I am a housewife and a mom as well. So, I cannot enroll in a campus because I won’t be able to help my husband and daughter with their daily needs. Online education came to my mind. I tried to search on something that I would be interested with. I found a certificate program called Master Certificate in Human Resource Management. It is a design of formal systems in an organization to make sure of the effectiveness and efficiency in using human capital to accomplish company goals. It’s a 6 week online program that I took at Villanova University located in Pennsylvania, USA. My husband is in the military so I got enrolled with the help of the GI Bill sponsorship. So, my tuition fee and books were free. 


Online distance learning with a university is a new thing for me. It’s interesting. We got books, CDs, online readings, videos, and the whiteboard wherein the teacher actually lectured and the students interacted with each other. It’s like a chat room. He talked on the speaker, wrote on the board, and gave some illustrations. Students also shared ideas with fellow students. It was amazing because there were people enrolled from different parts of the world.

The Master Certificate in Human Resource Management certificate program consists of 6 modules: (1) Strategic Business Management, (2) Workforce Planning and Employment, (3) Human Resource Development, (4) Total Rewards, (5) Employee and Labor Relations, and (6) Risk Management. It came with 2 electives: Mastering Organizational Effectiveness, and Finance and Accounting for Non-Accounting Managers. 

Online learning is very good because as a wife and a mom, I can still do my household chores, prepare food for them, bring my daughter to school, and work online while studying. That’s because you can study at your own pace as long as you pass all the online tests. In case you miss an online class, no worries because you can always go back and check the recorded lectures. That’s pretty cool, isn’t? It’s a nice experience.


After the online course, I gained more knowledge and confidence. I updated my resume and my profile. Since I am an expert freelance resume writer, having an additional accomplishment like HR in my resume made me more credible to write more resumes and cover letters and get more projects. I started to get more offers to write resumes from different countries. One client from Japan even recommended me to 4 of his co-workers and I was so happy about that. I also started to be an effective independent recruiter. Some even hired me to be their hiring manager and team manger as they start their new business online. My writing skills expanded to other writing types like website content writing, article writing, blog writing, proof reading, website copy editing, and even social media marketing. Now, I am a multi-skilled individual, captivating to the eyes of future clients.

The online course really helped me a lot on my present job. It enhanced my credibility as a professional. Without it, I think up to now I’m still waiting for luck. Life is better now. You may want to discover and enhance your present skills. Why not try checking for online programs too that will suit you. There are bunch of online courses out there. I’m sure you will find something that will interest you. You can check the top online accredited colleges online. You will not regret that you made a good step forward once you've decided. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment